The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


May 7, 2001

Ryan, Last summer, I had an anonymous sexual encounter. This was the first time that I made such a mistake, and it will surely be the last. Nearly seven months later I tested negative with the Home Access Test. My questions are the following: is 6.75 months long enough to trust the result, or should I test again, and secondly, can I trust that Home Access Test did not mishandle my sample. I know that you have answered similar questions in the past, but like everyone else in this forum, I feel as if my own situation is different from those you have responded to. I have been dealing with this terror constantly for almost nine months now. This is my first year in college and there is no one that I can turn to. I cant deal with this much longer. I would greatly appreciate a brief response to ease my anxieties. Thank you and PLEASE ANSWER!!

Response from Mr. Kull

I hate to say it, but your question is not that different from others in this forum. Waiting six months following an exposure to perform a Home Access test is definitely enough time to wait. The results are highly reliable (some studies report 99.9% accuracy, which includes possible technical/human error). Read through the articles in the "HIV Testing" section of The Body ( for more information on home testing.

And try not to be so hard on yourself!


receving oral sex

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint