Will herpes come back if I get HIV?

Hi, I didn't want to send this question but the concern is killing me. I used to have genital herpes 2 years ago and it was cured. At that time, I also got HIV test and receive negative result. Since then, I don't have any unprotected sex until I met my current boyfriend. We are together for a while, I love and trust him. We had protected sex before, then one day I am ok with unprotected sex. It's 3 months since the last unprotected sex and I have no symptoms of herpes or any kind of sickness (fever, weightloss, etc...) I am not using any medicine either. I heard that if I am infected with HIV then herpes will come back, is it true? I trust my boyfriend but the obsession of the past is there so I keep thinking about it everyday. I don't want to tell him about this either Please give me a hint. Thank you a lot

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

It's important to know that once a person has Herpes (1 or 2), they always have it. However, the longer a person has Herpes, the better their body gets at handling it (i.e. fewer outbreaks that last less time and are less intense). Herpes is also a lot more common than people think. Many many sexually active people will contract Herpes in their lifetime. This may not be the most comforting thought, but remember that for most of them, Herpes isn't terribly bothersome (i.e. won't send them to the hospital). If someone does have HIV it can trigger Herpes that hasn't showed itself in awhile.

As for the sex you've had with your boyfriend, since you've been having unprotected sex with him its important to talk together about sexual history, getting tested, etc. It's been 3 months since the last time you had unprotected sex, so it's the perfect time to get tested for HIV.

I can't speak to whether or not you should trust your boyfriend, but I can say that it's important to be as open as possible with your sex partners about your HIV/STD status.

Hope this helps!

Erik

What are my chances of being infected
chances of hiv