Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hi, Please answer my question about my 3yr old son
Jun 8, 2013

Hi, today i had a Doc appointment and took my 3yr old with me. He was sitting on a chair next to a sharps/needle container. He bumped his arm into it and am now super paranoid as to what if a needle was sticking out of the side of a container and punctured his skin and was infected? I am so paranoid now, and in general! Please let me know if i should test him. I looked at the side of the container and nothing was sticking out. Thanks so much in advance. Paranoid Mom

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Paranoid Mom

I know that if my child got his arm poked with a needle, not only I but the whole clinic would know from the shrieking wails that would follow. Think about it. A) how can there be a sharp poking out from the container? B) EVEN if there was a sharp, how can it penetrate your child without you knowing? C) what are the chances that said imaginary sharp contains HIV or other infectious agent? It does not make sense. More likely, as you say, you are being paranoid. Let it go, is my advice.

DW

Previous
Fear of being infected by virus fear of dying.
Next
Status displayed prominently on dental file

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.