Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

accuracy of test
Jun 7, 2013

What is the accuracy of test after 3 months? 97%. What is the accuracy of test after 6 months? I heard that is 99.9%. Does it mean that there are still 0.1% person who creat antibody later than 6 months? In total, there are 50,000,000 people are infected in the world, so there are 50,000 people who created antibody later than 6 months? what is the accuracy of my negative 20 months result(3rd generation)? Can it be 99.99999%, i.e. 1/1000,0000. I only had only one time of protected sex(about 2-3 min), and I had used the condom correctly and consistently, and the condom did not broke or slipped. But I know condom is not 100%,antibody and DNA is not 100% too. so I lived in hiv phobia for such a long time.

Response from Dr. Wohl

In love as in medicine there is no 'always' and no 'never'. I like this saying, although it is cold comfort to the worried and lovelorn.

Look, with a multitude of testing options including antibodies, p24, and PCR, to have all of these be negative and actual infection present just seems as close to never as one can get. In your case add to the calculus that you used a condom and you start to get to a risk that equates to a 1 in a number with an infinite number of zeros (i.e., never).

DW

Previous
Public Transport and HIV
Next
CCR5 - HIV testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.