HIV risk from sharing glasses from an HIV positive with mouth ulcer

Hi Mr. Cordova,

I am Monirath from Cambodia. I have a brother who is HIV positive but recently started on anti-retroviral drug. In one event, he developed some mouth ulcer but not really actively bleeding but I am not sure. Then one day, he drank water from a glass and did not wash it afterwards. After around two hours, I also used the same glass to drink water which I actually accidentally used.At that time, I was not sure if I have mouth ulcer too but the the day after that event, while I was brushing my teeth, there were fresh blood in my gums. I am worried that maybe I have an existing mouth ulcer too while I used his glass. The glass that we both used does not have any visible blood on it but I am not very sure. I just want to emphasize that I used the same glass two hours after my HIV positive brother used it. If my brother have an open mouth ulcer and I also have that ulcer and sharing the same glass TWO HOURS after he used it, Am I at risk for HIV. Please help me. I am very worried about this situation or am I just irrartional with my fear.

Monirath

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi Monirath.

Thanks for writing in. HIV is not transmitted this way. The virus starts to die the moment it leaves the human body. In most cases, within a minutes time it becomes unable to infect another person. Two hours later the virus would have been completely inactivated, and unable to infect you.

You can feel comfortable sharing utensils, drinking glasses, towels, and other clothing with your brother.If he is actively bleeding from sores in his mouth then I might avoid sharing eating utensils, just to be extra cautions - although again, transmission would be highly unlikely.

In health,

Richard

HIV oral warts from eating shared food?
Regarding my wet underwear-Please answer me sir