"Freaking Out" with HIV Symptoms 3 weeks after possible exposure

22 days ago I had a encounter with a stranger that resulted in me receiving a blow job were I did ejaculate in her mouth. I also fingered her and she placed those fingers in my mouth for about 10 seconds. There was no intercourse of any kind. Just kissing. I felt horrible, guilty and scared so I went to my GP the following day. I took a urine test for gonorrhea and chlamydia and proscribed antibiotics just in case. 4 days later the test came back negative.

I became very sick with a fever (102.5), soar throat, headaches and overall flu-like the same day. This lasted for about 4 days. During this time is when I started "freaking" out thinking I have contracted HIV. I started reading everything possible and making myself a nervous wreck. Never mind feeling guilty. I have told my girlfriend something happened but not all the details. Things did not go well with this. So anxiety there as well.

Since the first bout of feeling ill I have had what I would call a itchy throat for the last 13 days. Does not hurt to swallow and no redness. I also have random aches and pains in my armpits where glands would be, but have no swelling or pain to touch. This sensation comes and go's. Not always there and no rhyme reason to its duration. I also sometimes felt this same sensation in my groin gland area.

I returned to my GP on day 19 because of my concern of the itchy throat and the random aches in my armpit glands. I have also had slight headaches, but not often. He feels the chances of my contacting HIV is very slim and feels the itchy throat is allergies.

I have never had an itchy throat last this long from allergies and taking allergy meds is not providing relief. I will say the throat sensation is not felt all day long. It goes away at times.

I am type of person that would get freaked out very easily and I have been suffering from some serious anxiety about this. I am just want to get tested but my doctors says it can't be done for a few more weeks and that he doesn't see the need at this point with my symptoms.

The last two days (Day 21 and 22) I have woke up with tingling and sensations in my little fingers. I have also started to feel tightness and soreness on my upper back and shoulders where they meet the neck. Also on the back of my lower neck. Could this be swollen glands? And on days 19 and 20 I had what I felt as a swollen gland on my left groin. Does not hurt to touch. Pea size, but seems to be gone today(day22).

I am just looking for your opinion on whether you think these symptoms may be HIV related or just being brought on by my anxiety.

My doctor took blood on day 20 to do a general scan for anything, like Mono and 3 other tests. None where for HIV. I am still waiting on these results.

Also want to know if I can take any tests that would provide a earlier answer? I am having a hard time dealing with the anxiety.

Please answer as I am loosing it.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

The risk of HIV transmission with oral sex is extremely low. It is even reasonable to state that for the person receiving oral sex (that is on whom oral sex is being performed) the risk of acquisition of the virus is practically zero. For the person placing his or her mouth on someone else's genitals, the risk may be slightly higher but still very very low. Theoretically, obvious cuts, wounds, sores, or infections in the mouth could raise this risk. But relatively speaking this is still considered to be a low-risk sexual activity as the mouth is not a hospitable place for the HIV virus. Please note that other sexually transmitted infections are readily spread via oral contact and you may need to be checked for these.

Bottom line: Transmission was unlikely. A final test at 90 days may give you and your girlfriend some peace of mind.

In health,

Richard

Risk assessment for HIV transmission
HIV risk from sharing cup