Tonsil infection after cunnilingus

About a year ago, I performed cunnilingus on a woman who I later found out had worked as an escort, something she failed to mention to me at the time. A few days later, I developed a pretty nasty case of tonsillitis. I didn't think anything of it at the time; I went to the doctor, was put on antibiotics, and the infection cleared up relatively quickly. I have since then begun questioning whether or not this was an early symptom of HIV. Is this even a possibility? I have since had 1 repeat case of tonsil infection. If I had been infected during that encounter last year, would I be showing any signs of the infection now?

My sexual history aside from that consists of protected vaginal intercourse with 1 other woman.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

The risk of HIV transmission with oral sex is extremely low. It is even reasonable to state that for the person receiving oral sex (that is on whom oral sex is being performed) the risk of acquisition of the virus is practically zero. For the person placing his or her mouth on someone else's genitals, the risk may be slightly higher but still very very low. Theoretically, obvious cuts, wounds, sores, or infections in the mouth could raise this risk. But relatively speaking this is still considered to be a low-risk sexual activity as the mouth is not a hospitable place for the HIV virus. Please note that other sexually transmitted infections are readily spread via oral contact and you may need to be checked for these.

The tonsillitis has nothing to do with HIV. If this happened a year ago, and you haven't been tested in a year then you are overdue for a full screening of all STD's including HIV. This will help clear up any lingering suspicions you may have.

In health,

Richard

Real risk real symptoms
Hiv negative but curious?