nursing student

I was volunteering at homeless shelter checking glucose. I stuck myself with a lancet after testing a man ( I had gloves on also). I panicked and didn't mention anything until several hours later but alcoholed the area immediately There was no medical info on the man. I went to my doctor and they drew blood for testing but he said my risk was extremely low and didn't put me on any prophylactic meds. Wondering what your assessment of my risk is??? It's constantly on my mind and I'm a mom of two small kids! Thank you.

Hi and thanks for posting.

Given that your injury was minor (ie., not a deep tissue wound), the instrument was not a hollow bore (ie., hypodermic needle), your risk is indeed very low.

You should have appropriate monitoring (including baseline and follow up tests) just to be certain.

I hope that's helpful, BY

My Fiancee is HIV -
90 or 180 days