hiv unprotected anal sex

Hello I am a man I had an anal sex with a girl.She transmitted some STDs like chlamedia and hominis etc.I was cured by antibiotics.They are negative.But I suspected about HIV and tested it at 5 weeks after my last encounter my result is negative.I am going to test it at 3 months too.But I still worry.1. What's the percentage of acquiring HIV from anal sex as a giver ? 2. What if my negative test result at 5 weeks was false ? What's the assumption of my test result to be false? I had my HIV test results in few hours what kind of test could it be? And am I still risk to be positive at 3 months or not?

Hi It's difficult to give a percentage of risk as everyone is different. We do know though that the insertive partner carries a lower risk that the receiving partner. Your risk does increase some with having other sexually transmitted infections passed on. For HIV testing the guidelines are to get tested initially at 3 weeks then at 90 days post exposure, the results at 90 days are conclusive. The reason why we have this what we call a window period, is that the test are looking for your body making antibodies against HIV and everyone's body develops them at different rates. So someone can test negative but actually be positive during this window period. Having your test come back negative at 5 weeks is a good sign and I would encourage you to have the test run at 90 days. If there were no other exposures during this time the results are conclusive. There are new tests out that can give you your results in 10-20 minutes and they are very accurate.

Next time, wear a condom and you won't have to go through all of this!!!

Worried mom cant sleep
Almost a year since exposure should I still be worried?