I found out a friend has the virus (HIV)

I just recently found out that my friend has HIV and my daughter and myself have been staying over at her house for two weeks and I have used her bathroom a couple of times but I am really concerned because I was reading the signs and symptoms of the virus and I think its all in my head but we shared a soda and I was wondering is it possible for her to have given the virus to me because now I have this dry cough that came from no where and I am really starting to get scared because she didnt tell me she had the virus I found out on my own and now I feel confused and hurt because she is sleeping around with two different men at the same time!!!! please somebody tell me what to do!!!!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

HIV is not transmitted via casual contact. Sharing a soda would be considered casual contact.

As someone who is infected by HIV, your friend needs you to be there for her as a friend. The first step in the right direction is arming yourself with some basic knowledge on how HIV is and is not transmitted.

Check out our section on HIV Prevention. It provides a wealth of information in easy to understand terms.

I might suggest telling your friend that you know she is HIV positive. Tell her you love her, and ask her if there is anything you can do to help.

In health,

Richard

very scared - ARS ? Hiv risk ?
10 week neg quick test and trush symptoms next day.