Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pricked with wire minute after someone else
May 30, 2013

Hello

I was handing over a wire for my sculpture teacher to examine and it had frayed ends making it very sharp. I heard him tell me to be careful about the sharp edges because he had just pricked himself with it. (I do not know if he had bled from it or if it was a significant wound) then stupidly and clumsily a minute or two afterwards I was unfortunately pricked by the same end... I did not however see any visible blood on the wire after being pricked and my finger was not bleeding but there was a red dot where I had been pricked (that red hole is still there under my skin months later) Was there an hiv risk?

Your answer is greatly appreciated

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

This situation doesn't really sound risky to me. Mainly because it's questionable if you pricked your skin enough to get down to where there's blood (you didn't bleed so it sounds like this didn't happen. The same thing would've needed to have happened to your teacher immediately before. Your teacher would also need to have HIV. If all of that actually did happen (doesn't sound like it did though), then it would have been very little blood around to infect.

Add all that together and it doesn't sound like there was any possibility of risk.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
HIV and lubricants
Next
Please help me, I am losing my mind

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.