Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV transmission from hands to faucet
May 28, 2013

I have an unusual question about my risk for HIV. I live with an HIV positive colleague. Few days ago, he went inside the toilet to clean up his anal area which seems to have slowly healing lesions but is not actively bleeding though I am not very sure. Afterwards, he washed his hands touching the faucet and I immediately used the same faucet to wash my hands. After a minute, I took a shower and use the same hands which touch the faucet to clean up my penis and anal area. I am just concern if it happened that his wounds has some blood on it and contaminated the faucet by hisnhands and transferred the virus into the faucet, then into my hands and then to my penis and anal area. I read elsewhere that the foreskin and urethra have some HIV receptors. Is this mode possible? Am I at risk for HIV? or this situation warrants testing?

Response from Mr. Glenn

There is no risk for HIV from what you're talking about.

Fluid with HIV needs to go immediately/directly between people. Otherwise so much time will pass that it'll die or be wiped away.

It's great to hear that you're trying to learn more to be the best roommate to your HIV positive colleague. Feel free to ask more questions and explore the answers here in our forum.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
HCV from blood tainted glove.
Next
HIV and lubricants

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.