Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr David Wohl....PLEASE ANSWER ME !!
May 27, 2013

Hello Drs...here is what i wana ask.......... I am male.....1st week of March 2013 we got to know that my Girlfreind is Hiv Positive. We been together for 1 year. Basically i always practised Safe Sex with her. But as usual Human Error can happen for 1 year sex with her (i.e Condom Breakage or Slip) which i pray didnt happen...When we met she wasnt Positive....She mite have gone out when i was out of town starting of this year 2013. I mainly travel 2 weeks a month. Now from then its like am sitted on a Time Bomb.We did have DEEP oral unprotected like.....BJ....Sucking her nipples....biting her body all oral was unprotected was same to her and me . Have tested like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 weeks and recently 10 weeks...(results Negative) all Tests was done via Hiv Antibody Determine 1/2. I have read in many forum as 3 months (12 weeks) is conclusive, some forum say 6 months...also read 8 weeks is conclusive. My question are.....

1) What do u think can i conclude this that i am negative?? or still further tests required like 12th week to 13 week or 6 months as per my risk ??

2) Can the results in coming week change ??

3) Can i continue have Unprotected sex with my wife?? Thanks

Response from Dr. Wohl

I am not sure I understand all you are asking but will try to answer best I can:

1. Your HIV testing shows you are HIV negative. Testing for HIV antibody detects HIV infection by 12 weeks in 97% of cases. By 24 weeks the test result can be considered conclusive. Of course, with each new exposure (unprotected sex), the clock starts all over again.

2. Yes, see above.

3. I think you are asking if you can feel secure you did not catch HIV from your girlfriend so you can have unprotected sex with your wife. If so, the issue is that your HIV status depends on your behavior. If you have a risky encounter, you can be potentially infected and would not know it or not for 12 weeks.

One thing that can help reduce your risk is if your girlfriend was on HIV medication and had an undetectable HIV level in her blood. That would reduce her risk of transmitting the virus to you but would change little what you need to do to protect your wife.

DW

Previous
tagging gun needle stick, please answer real exposure please
Next
Risk of HIV from HIV + girlfriend

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.