Blood on Healing Wound

Hi Shannon,

Good day. I have a 1/2 inch healing wound (3 days old) on my index finger. From time to time, it does secrete some serous liquid and a bit of blood if I stretch it. My real scenarios and questions:

1. Had a handshake with a person who have a cut (wound looked watery and red) on his hand, not too sure if his wound touches mine, but if he is HIV +, is this a possible transmission?

2. Do healing wounds (which still secretes bits of serous and blood liquid) like mine still is vulnerable to HIV transmission? Is it consider as an entry to our bloodstream?

I have look through the site and I do not think a transmission is possible? Just want to overcome my anxiety here. Much appreciated.

Thank you. Regards, Seventh

Hi This type of exposure carries an extremely low risk. Transmission of HIV from a contaminated surface would require massive exposure to blood or other infected liquid from prolonged period of time. This carries the same risk with a hand shake. Everything that you have read on the site is true. The risk is extremely low.

Occupational exposures; the difference?
Asked many times....Plz answer Dr Shanon !!