Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fear of HIV Exposure from "Safer" Vacation Fling, condoms/baby oil
May 25, 2013

I had a tiny fling with a man I met on vacation who is bisexual. He told me he hadnt had sex since January, had had a negative HIV test in November and had used condoms since then. I have no reason not to believe him, except that I hardly know him! (He recently got out of a ten-year relationship with a woman.)

The first night we had sex, he tried to use baby oil as a lubricant/massage oil. I told him that you shouldnt use oil with condoms, thus requesting he wipe himself off, as I did, with a wet towel (no soap). We then used condoms for sex, changing the condom once before the end.

My fear is that remnants of the baby oil could have broken the condom down so much that it was no longer good to protect myself from HIV. (Neither of us noticed any breakage.) I am additionally worried because he was getting over a cold when I asked him about it, he said he had been sick, which in my anxious state makes me wonder about conversion sickness (and high viral loads)!

About ten days after our week together, I am feeling nauseous most of the time, headachy and with a sore throat (could be allergies, could be?)

I have recently realized that I have an unhealthy fear/paranoia of HIV and will start going to see a therapist next week, but in the meantime this experience has me so worried that I cant think about anything else.

Any advice? One, about the baby oil/condom conundrum, and two, about how to be more realistic about this debilitating worry I have about sexual disease.

Thank you very much.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

The concern with using oil, like you mentioned, is that it will break down the condom causing it to tear. But you saw that this didn't happen.

As for the feeling sick afterward.. since you mentioned that he was getting over a cold, my first thought is that you simply caught his cold. The stuff you're feeling with you body is incredibly general and could be explained away by tons of things.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
period sex generates hiv
Next
False negative STD test?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.