Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

was married to a hiv positive person
May 24, 2013

Hi,

I was married to a person whom I got to know was hiv positive after 1.5 yrs after marriage, his CD4 count was 137 and viral load 3700 when he was diagnosed.We had unprotected sex 5 times during this period and rest of the time it was protected.it has been 20 months since I got to know this and have never been in physical contact with him in the past 20 months,I tested ELISA negative for all these 20 months...should I now relax that I do not have HIV or do I fall into the group of highly exposed seronegative people?I really tensed doctor...please answer my question...our marriage broke down because of all these....can I move ahead in my life marrying another person or am I part of highly exposed seronegative people...please help me doctor...I will be ever greatful to you.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there First I would say that after 20 months of testing you are indeed negative. I would not specifically call you "highly exposed" as having sex 5 times with someone with what I would consider to be a "relatively low" viral load would not reassure me that you are someone who is likely immune to acquiring HIV. Why this is important is that I wouldn't want you to assume that and thus not take precautions in future relationships. I certainly think you should move on with your life. Take care, LHW

Previous
Received oral sex from a positive partner, now on PEP
Next
LIFESPAN

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.