was married to a hiv positive person

I was married to a person whom I got to know was hiv positive after 1.5 yrs after marriage, his CD4 count was 137 and viral load 3700 when he was diagnosed.We had unprotected sex 5 times during this period and rest of the time it was protected.it has been 20 months since I got to know this and have never been in physical contact with him in the past 20 months,I tested ELISA negative for all these 20 months...should I now relax that I do not have HIV or do I fall into the group of highly exposed seronegative people?I really tensed doctor...please answer my question...our marriage broke down because of all these....can I move ahead in my life marrying another person or am I part of highly exposed seronegative people...please help me doctor...I will be ever greatful to you.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there First I would say that after 20 months of testing you are indeed negative. I would not specifically call you "highly exposed" as having sex 5 times with someone with what I would consider to be a "relatively low" viral load would not reassure me that you are someone who is likely immune to acquiring HIV. Why this is important is that I wouldn't want you to assume that and thus not take precautions in future relationships. I certainly think you should move on with your life. Take care, LHW

Received oral sex from a positive partner, now on PEP
LIFESPAN