Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please answer me...that's the third time
May 21, 2013

6 days ago i had protected vaginal sex with a guy that i don't know nothing about him or his healty...we french kissed (not very pasional, superficial, no agresiv) but i had on my lip an outbreak from herpes...and also he make me cunnilingus...i don't know if he had any cut or open sores in his mouth..i didn't see blood..Please tell what are my chances to get hiv if the guy had it? until mow i have no symptoms but i'm very stressed i can't stop thinking on that, i can't eat...the guy had on his body something like psoriazis..that was what he told me...wich is the most accurate and faster test then 3months...please answer me ....thanks

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi First, condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off. So you gave yourself the prevention you needed from intercourse. Oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. HIV is not transmitted through kissing, though having an open sore does increase the risk, he would also have to have an open sore on his mouth for there to even be a risk of HIV transmission through kissing. As for the cunnilingus, the same theory is in place as for kissing, you would have to have an open sore on your genital area and he would have to have an open sore on his mouth. The risk is extremely low. The guidelines for testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks post exposure then again at 90 days, if there are no other exposures during this time the results are conclusive.

I hope this alleviates your stress as I feel your encounter carried an extremely low risk for HIV transmission.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
oral leukpekia anxiety please answer!!
Next
Oraquick Trustworthy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.