Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Commenced Truvada and Isentress
May 20, 2013

Yesterday was I exposed to a needle stick injury involving a HIV positive male. It was a 25g needle sub dermal. I was administering the flu vaccine at the time. How effective is the pep therapy in this situation. Im tolerating the medication without any problems. I did commence the medication within 5 hours of the potential exposure. Thank you

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there First, it sounds like you did the right thing in starting PEP and I would concur with that regimen. The key is now completing the full 28 days of therapy. In terms of providing an actual efficacy number that would depend on the depth of the needlestick, amount of blood on device as well as the viral load of the source patient. What I can tell you is that Several clinical studies have demonstrated that HIV transmission can be significantly reduced by the post-exposure administration of antiretroviral agents. A CDC retrospective case-control study of using one drug (AZT) use after occupational HIV exposure in healthcare workers showed an 81% reduction in risk of HIV infection in persons who received the medication. Hope that helps. Take care, LHW

Previous
a quick but serious question
Next
hiv.or std

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.