Commenced Truvada and Isentress

Yesterday was I exposed to a needle stick injury involving a HIV positive male. It was a 25g needle sub dermal. I was administering the flu vaccine at the time. How effective is the pep therapy in this situation. Im tolerating the medication without any problems. I did commence the medication within 5 hours of the potential exposure. Thank you

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there First, it sounds like you did the right thing in starting PEP and I would concur with that regimen. The key is now completing the full 28 days of therapy. In terms of providing an actual efficacy number that would depend on the depth of the needlestick, amount of blood on device as well as the viral load of the source patient. What I can tell you is that Several clinical studies have demonstrated that HIV transmission can be significantly reduced by the post-exposure administration of antiretroviral agents. A CDC retrospective case-control study of using one drug (AZT) use after occupational HIV exposure in healthcare workers showed an 81% reduction in risk of HIV infection in persons who received the medication. Hope that helps. Take care, LHW

a quick but serious question
hiv.or std