The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Different HIV Testing Methods

May 20, 2013

I'm a 30 year old bi-sexual "I guess" male. In the past few weeks I've had a few low risk - no risk ecounters which include unprotected oral (giving) and protected insertive anal sex with a transexual (possible protitute), condom did slip while I was jerking my self off outside the anus. a hand job from another transexual, not a prostitute, and I briefly tongue kissed another transexual, not a protitute. All happend within the past week. I have had no earlier exposures.

I don't want to wait three months to get a reliable test result. What are the window periods on the P24 antigen test and the DNA PCR tests? Would you recommend either of these tests? 90%+ accuracy would ease my mind and I'm not worried about the expense of the tests. Finally would you consider my aquisition risk low?

Response from Dr. Wohl

The HIV RNA test can pick up virus within a week of infection. The p24 within 2 weeks. I do find your specific activity low risk for HIV (high risk for syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia), but your overall sexual behavior perhaps more risky.

Have you considered or have access to PrEP? That is pre-exposure prophylaxis with Truvada? You would keep up with the condoms and regular STI testing but would daily therapy would add another level of protection for the just in case cases.


Asked but not answered in depth in a long time
Weird Stripper Lollipop STD Transmission Question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint