Belly Piercings while positive.

Hello Dr.

I am HIV positive and I would like to get my belly button pierced. I have had it done before (when I wasnt positive) but it got infected. Maybe because I wasnt keeping it as clean as I should have and plus I can get pretty hairy and hair creates more sweat and moisture which turns to dirt. So now I would like to get pierced again but I am scared of getting an infection and getting sick and possibly being hospitalized from an infection. I figured if I get the piercing and keep my stomach free of hair growth and the piercing clean, infections wont come but I am not sure? What is your recommendation?

If you keep the site clean this should be no problem, especially if your CD4 cell count is decent. Antibiotic ointment applied to the site a few times a day can help.

Conclusive testing in this situation
Worried for Daughter