Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Stop PEP treatment could cause resistance?
May 6, 2013

Hello Dr.

Ive been on PEP treatment for a week (1 Truvada + 4 Kaletra each day). Due to my low risk of having contracted HIV, I was thinking of stop taking Kaletra because i am scared of the side effects vs my risks. Could stop taking Kaletra cause resistance in the case I finally contract HIV now or in the future(I have been taking them for a week now). Would be Truvada enough treatment for a low risk? I really need to make a decision soon and I need some advice.

Thank you for reading and answering. I wish my doctors would be as helpful as you are.

Response from Dr. Wohl

I would stay on the Kaletra and Truvada. The risks of 4 weeks of Kaletra are minimal. You do have a risk of resistance if you stop Kaletra only and indeed do acquire HIV.

DW

Previous
CD4% down slightly
Next
hiv 2 delay seroconversion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.