Police related concern

Hello, early Friday morning I was involved in apprehending a suspect for Domestic Violence. A brief foot chase took place and the subject was tackled by me. When I tackled him we slid across a gravel drive way and I received a cut on my left hand, road rash type, the suspect was also bleeding from his hand area.LAter while enroute to the hospital to chack my hand I learned the subject had AIDS. Needless to say this led to an anxiety attack as I pictured my family going tohrough my mind. I saw my blood knew he bled and was really worried. I dont think the two came into contact;Once at the hospital the ER Dr didn't even entertain my fear. He said it is nearly impossible. Is this the case or was he just appeasing me to calm me down? I still plan on getting tested. Thank You!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

It's important to keep in mind that HIV is only transmitted when a blood fluid carrying HIV (e.g. blood, semen, vaginal fluids, breast milk) comes out of someone's body and goes immediately/directly inside of yours.

What's important to keep in mind is that there needs to be a substantial amount of fluid and a significant way for it to get in your body. Then, there literally needs to be direct contact.

It's hard to say if this was the case in your situation from what I'm reading. But let's use our imagination, there would really need to be cuts. And they would really need to be bleeding for there to be contact (risk).

It's interesting that the doctor at the ER didn't seem concerned. Could it be that this was because the wounds (and amount of blood) wasn't as much as you think it was?

If you feel like there was a chance of infection, by all means get an HIV test (waiting 3 months is the recommendation). But keep in mind that unless there was blood everywhere we're probably not talking about super high risk.

Hope this begins to answer your question,

Erik

High risk HPV - infection sites
My doctor never explained.