Tested HIV+ and 33weeks pregnant

Im 33 weeks pregnant and i recently tested positive but my partner tested negetive.My biggest concern now is should i be on any kind of medication to prevent my baby from being infected or will she be on 3 days treatment after she is born?

Hi I"m sorry to hear about your diagnosis but the good news for your baby is YES you should be on medications and yes the baby will be on meds after they are born. Your HIV health care provider should refer you to a HIV specific OBGYN. We know that at any time when a mom is placed on medications during her pregnancy the risk of transmission reduces significantly, less than 1%. The baby will be on AZT after delivery and babies tolerate this just fine. I have worked with many moms before, during and after birth and they are all doing just fine and the babies are HIV free. Another thing to remember is to NOT breast feed. Mother's breast milk is a way for transmission to occur to babies as well. Stay on your medications and as long as you maintain an undetectable viral load and stay in care you can see your baby graduate college, get married and become a grandparent.

Finding our your status at any point in time is a good thing, but finding out before your baby is born so that you can prevent transmission to the baby is crucial. Get on the medications and take care of yourself and you and your baby will be fine!!!!

You haven't change, just the scenery of your life has.

Tequila shot
High risk HPV - infection sites