Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV testing
May 1, 2013

Hi Doctor,

I was seeing a girl from January to March 2013. We always used condoms. However, the condom broke twice (on Jan 12th and Jan 28th 2013) I don't know what is her status, so I got tested on Feb 25th (28 days post exposure) and on March 11th (42 days post exposure) with 4th generation test (antibody and P24 antigen). Results were negative. Is it safe to say that both test are reliable and that I certainly did not get HIV from the 2 unprotected penetration that I mentionned above? Also, is it true that condom does not give full protection against HIV ? Last time I had sex with her was on March 11th. Let's say that my tests are reliable and that I can totaly forget about what happened on Jan 12th and Jan 28th, do I need to get tested again later even tho we used protection just to make sure I cover everything ?

Thanks

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

A negative HIV test result is only considered conclusive at 90 days or later. That being said, most people will show up positive by the 28th day. Your 28 day test, 42 day test, the antigen portion of the test, and the risk itself all lead me to believe that you are indeed HIV negative. However, only the 90 day test would be considered conclusive. You could go in for a test at 90 days, or just wait until your next regularly scheduled round of STD (including HIV) testing. I am confident the result will be negative.

Condoms are effective in preventing HIV transmission as long as they are used correctly, with condom-safe lubricant, and don't break. In this case, they broke, so the risk was increased. As the insertive partner, the risk was much lower, the time was brief, and the number of times it happened was limited. Again, all signs point to transmission being unlikely.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Worried about my son
Next
Can HIV symptoms appear in three days from exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.