HIV testing

Hi Doctor,

I was seeing a girl from January to March 2013. We always used condoms. However, the condom broke twice (on Jan 12th and Jan 28th 2013) I don't know what is her status, so I got tested on Feb 25th (28 days post exposure) and on March 11th (42 days post exposure) with 4th generation test (antibody and P24 antigen). Results were negative. Is it safe to say that both test are reliable and that I certainly did not get HIV from the 2 unprotected penetration that I mentionned above? Also, is it true that condom does not give full protection against HIV ? Last time I had sex with her was on March 11th. Let's say that my tests are reliable and that I can totaly forget about what happened on Jan 12th and Jan 28th, do I need to get tested again later even tho we used protection just to make sure I cover everything ?

Thanks

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

A negative HIV test result is only considered conclusive at 90 days or later. That being said, most people will show up positive by the 28th day. Your 28 day test, 42 day test, the antigen portion of the test, and the risk itself all lead me to believe that you are indeed HIV negative. However, only the 90 day test would be considered conclusive. You could go in for a test at 90 days, or just wait until your next regularly scheduled round of STD (including HIV) testing. I am confident the result will be negative.

Condoms are effective in preventing HIV transmission as long as they are used correctly, with condom-safe lubricant, and don't break. In this case, they broke, so the risk was increased. As the insertive partner, the risk was much lower, the time was brief, and the number of times it happened was limited. Again, all signs point to transmission being unlikely.

In health,

Richard

Worried about my son
Can HIV symptoms appear in three days from exposure