Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried about my son
May 1, 2013

I am really worried about my 3 year old son, my husband took him for a hair cut at the barbers. When he got home i realised the barber had clipped his ear, my husband doesnt think they were cleaned from the customer before,( the customer before my son was a young boy) there would only have been a couple of minutes between the young boy and my son getting his hair cut, is there a chance my son could catch hiv from this sitiation? If someone was hiv positive and used the hairclippers earlier that day and got cut then my son got clipped on the ear would that be possible to tramsmit hiv to my son? i am making myself sick with worry and cant sleep at night, i suffer with really bad anxiety, Please can you answer my question to put my mind at ease, Many thanks

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

No. HIV is not transmitted this way. First, HIV does not live well outside of the human body. Even a few minutes time (or even less) is enough time for the virus to start to die. Once it starts to die, it becomes unable to infect another person. Second, HIV needs direct access to the bloodstream for transmission to occur. The kind that happens during unprotected vaginal and anal sex, or when people share needles or drug works.

If you suffer from anxiety, and thoughts like these are common, my suggestion is that you work with a qualified mental health professional. They can help you gain the skills you need to manage your anxiety. If you are already working with a mental health professional that's great. Be sure to tell them about this situation and any others that come up for you.

Good luck.

In health,

Richard

Previous
ABOUT MASTURBATION
Next
HIV testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.