Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV - possible ARS symptoms at 5 days.
Apr 30, 2013

Hello Erik.

i'm 22 year old gay male. I had receptive anal sex with a guy from my university but the condom broke during intercourse.

On the fourth day since possible transmission I developed a light soar throat and a cold. By the fifth day, I developed a light rash over my chest which I put down to heat rash, since it went away after a day or two.

However the rash came back again on the 10th today.

i was starting to think other possible symptoms like the light soar throat was just post nasal drip as part of some other viral infection cold etc / hayfever but now i think otherwise although it has mostly subsided.

I've been planning from the start to confirm with a hiv test at four weeks and then another later on.

How soon would HIV infection symptoms appear if they did so at all?

I know that waiting to get tested is what i need to do to get the answer but i'm really stressing out. I just want to clarify some things.

thank you for your time

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

It sounds like you're taking the steps you need to in order to learn what your status is. I understand. The waiting can be the hardest part.

Symptoms are really tricky though. The direct answer to your question is yes, symptoms could appear that early. But it's also true that what you're feeling could be explained by countless other things. It's funny because it's very possible that you could've just caught a cold right after the incident.

While you wait to get your test, there are many things you can do to help with your stress: talk with a trusted person (maybe even a counselor), find distracting activities, etc.

Hope this begins to help!

Erik

Previous
Negative Hepatitis/HIV Test
Next
Possible risk at tranny bar?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.