Genital Warts and Cervical Cancer

Hello, Iâve had genital warts in the past and though, as Iâve read repeatedly, I know that they are caused by an HPV other than the ones that cause cervical cancers, I am still wondering if having the HPV responsible for the warts means I am any more likely than any other sexually active person to have the kinds responsible for cancers.

Do the HPVs tend to occur in typical combinations? Or can you have just one type and not be any more likely than anybody else to have the others?

Thank you for your time.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your very interesting question!

On one hand if you've had one type of HPV then you've been at the same type of risk for getting the other HPV types. There's that, but just because there's risk doesn't mean it happened. To answer one of your questions more directly, HPVs can happen in combinations, but that doesn't mean one of them would be the kind that could cause cancer necessarily.

That may not be terribly comforting, BUT remember that getting a regular pap test is going to let you know ahead of time if there are any cellular changes you should be concerned about.. so keep up with that!

Hope this helps!

Erik

Scared due to persistent non-goning oral symptoms
DIRECTLY/IMMEDIATELY