Chance of Hiv after first encounter.

Hi, back in January I met a girl at a bar and she took me back to her place. One thing lead to another and we ended up having sex. I wore a latex condom during vaginal (there was no anal) but the oral was not protected. The condom did not break an it stated on. I also did not notice anything on my penis when she was done giving me oral sex. I had an HIV test two weeks later and it was negative. Spring came about and now I have a fever blister, a runny nose, and a sore throat. I know that I have oral herpes because I was born with it. But I am too scared to go and get another test done. Given the evidence, what are my chances of contracting HIV?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

An intact condom will prevent HIV during vaginal sex. Unprotected oral sex is typically pretty low risk for HIV. To make sure of your status it's great that you've gotten tested. It's going to be good to wait 3 months though to have a result that you know is certain. In the meantime it definitely speaks in your favor that the risk was low to begin with.

Hope this helps!

Erik

P.S. The symptoms that you raise do not raise a red flag for HIV. They're way too generic. Although, if they are causing you discomfort, by all means follow up with a doctor about that.

Giving oral sex with a condom on
Scared due to persistent non-goning oral symptoms