The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bleeding, gingivitis and biting

Apr 27, 2013

Hello, thank you for all what you are doing here. You are really helping people from all around the world.

Yesterday I kissed a random stranger. It was open mouth kissing. I suffer from severe gingivitis. After I kissed him and went back home i touched my gums in a place where i also had a cold sore and it started bleeding a little and then disappeared. So I was thinking that maybe when we kissed I couldve bled or have a route for hiv to come in contact with my bloodstream. Can I get hiv for this?

Also, the other day a guy bit me in the nipple and I got a red spot, it was dark so I didnt see if it was bleeding, nor if he had sores in his mouth. Can I be at risk for that?

Thank you for all of your attention

Greetings from France!

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Both instances carry extremely low risk for HIV transmission. HIV transmission does not occur through kissing and oral sex carries the lowest risk of transmission. There has to a direct exchange of body fluid in order for the risk of transmission to occur. The body fluid is blood, semen, vaginal fluid or mother's breast milk.

In order for there to be a risk with kissing is if both people have open sores and wounds in their mouths. It is not able to transmit through saliva and the mouth is just not a very hospitable place for HIV.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Hope for those who are confused by too much information
Just tested negative

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint