Accidental blood spatter and contact from a blood transfusion.

I was recently in a hospital room where the nurses were hooking up a blood transfusion for my mother. I was all the way across the room. All of a sudden, I felt a "splat" and looked down to find blood spots on my shirt and hands. There was blood all over the window next to me, my mother's left side was drenched in blood,and blood was all over the floor. The nurses acted like it was no big deal. I immediately went to wash the blood off and there were a couple of spots on my face that I washed off. Is there any risk to me from exposure to this blood? I know it is screened when donated, but I am guessing they don't screen for everything.

This is a big deal and should be reported to the hospital administration as this is a breech of standard protocol. I suspect someone did something they should not have and reporting can help prevent future accidents.

If this occurred in the US, you have really nothing to worry about as far as infection. The blood is screened and the exposure to you was minimal. The hospital should respond to your concerns and offer any testing that seems reasonable given your location.

6 month always conclusive?
fluid amount