Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Shannon.....Please HELP!!
Apr 24, 2013

In late Jan & Feb, I had several encounters with a CSW. In all the encounters, I only had protected virginal sex, NO anal sex at all. However, in the initial visits, I had unprotected oral sex but in the later visits, I did not allow her to do any oral sex. We did french kiss. My last visit was in late Feb. I had protected virginal sex, NO anal sex and no oral sex. When I got back, I noticed that I had an ulcer. I did not have any bleeding gums during that time but I do remember that I had an ulcer and a hairline cut due to aggressive brushing.

Within 2 days I contracted flu-like symptoms: muscle aches throughout my body especially on my shoulder joints. But I didn't have any headache, sore throat, cough, no abdominal pain, no fever and no diarrhea and no swollen lymph node. Last week, I got flu like symptoms, I had cough, fever and one night I had night sweat. However, I don't have any diarrhea or swollen lymph node.

I did several tests, two in Mar and my last test was in Apr 3. In all the tests, I was diagnosed negative. However, I was informed by the nurse that the window period is 3 months. It has been nine weeks since the last encounter. The last test was 6 weeks from the last encounter and it was also negative.

I am getting paranoid. I am worried that I might have got HIV through the kisses I had with her. Since I had an ulcer and I do get bleeding gums occasionally, could I have been infected by HIV? Since there is HIV in saliva, can I get that through an ulcer in the mouth? May be I am over-analyzing it as the CSW may not even be HIV positive.

Please advice. Thanks!

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Good choices in how to protect yourself and oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. HIV transmission does not occur through kissing. What it sounds to me like with getting an ulcer is herpes might be what's going on. I would recommend receiving testing for this. For HIV testing the guidelines, are to be tested initially at 3 weeks post exposure then again at 90 days and if there are no other exposures during this time then the results are conclusive.

Shannon

Previous
Possible Blood Exposure
Next
HIV survival in air conditioned room

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.