Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

help I foolishly had unprotected anal sex receptive..
Apr 23, 2013

Hey I made a really bad decision the other night. I have never had receptive anal sex before I met someone out at a club and in the heat of the moment it happened. I know nothing about this person at all, I called 3 times today I figured I'd ask if hed be willing to take a hiv test... Also I think I was bleeding a little bit during, I don't remember if he ejaculated inside me or not. Its sunday so the clinic is closed and I'm going to go first thing tommorow morning. I just wanna know since I bled does that increase my risk? How high do you think my risk is for 1 time receptive anal unprotected for about 5ish minutes... What should I do now? I don't have insurance should I get this PEP thing? I'm so worrieed . This whole thing was a wake up call for me and I hope I come out of it with no stds and I will be much safer in the future.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

PEP is only effective within 72 hours. You might be running up against that window at this point. If you are within the 72 hour window period you could go to your nearest emergency room. They can administer the medication.

The risk of a one-time occurrence is certainly lower than if this was an ongoing problem. However, the risk is still there. In regards to the bleeding: The tissue in the rectum is so fragile, that even if there had been no bleeding, there was likely tearing.

You'll need a test at 90 days to be certain. If you like, you can go in for an initial test at 28 days, with the final one at 90.

It sounds like you know that you put yourself at risk and it sounds like you don't plan on making that mistake again. Always have condoms and lube on you when you go out. You never know when you might find a little fun.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Chances of catching any sti's
Next
Possible Blood Exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.