Scratched and Worried

I'm a Med Tech who does phlebotomy. My thumb was scratched by the edge of a cover of a custom-made biohazard bin holder. Bled a little. Did not observe blood on the cover but could have previously been contaminated. Any risk of HIV/Hep C transmission?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

There was no risk of HIV transmission in this situation. HIV does not live well outside of the body. Hepatitis C can live in dried blood for up to two weeks. However, it's unlikely that you were at risk.

I would suggest talking with your supervisor. They have protocols in place for situations like this.

In health,

Richard

Blood Drawn
condom, still protected