Hey Shannon! I was just wonderin'

Hi Shannon,

I read in a recent answer of yours that you and the other experts were having conversations about some of the questions you answer. Any insight you can share with the rest of us on what some of those items were?

Also, and I am sorry if this seems like an incredibly idiotic question, when mucous membrane exposure is spoken about does that generally only consider a case of blood/bodily fluids going directly from the source and into the eye, nose, etc. or would that cover say the bodily fluid landing on a surface first and then somehow being unknowingly rubbed against a mucous membrane? Or would that be more like a casual contact seeing as how the fluid has left the body and landed on a surface? I'm guessing that if transmission was possible in that way it would be even less than normal mucous membrane contact.

Anyways sorry about the silly question.

Best regard, Mike

Hi Our conversations always continue as we know things about HIV can change and we get anywhere from 500-600 questions a month in this forum and so want to help each other out with questions that come up that maybe we have not been asked before and also to make sure that we are answering questions with consistency with our answers etc....

HIV transmission occurs when there is a direct exchange of body fluid, so yes fluid going directly into mucous membranes. Once HIV leaves the body it begins to die and is unable to infect.

And it's not a silly question!!!

Thanks be well and stay safe, Shannon

Oral HIV
hiv