Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Chances of contracting HIV
Apr 20, 2013

I recently exposed to a risk of contracting HIV. On the 22nd of Dec 2012 involved a protected sex but condom was ripped. I immediately changed the condom (the activity with the broken condom was very short (less than 30 seconds). Then I have a standard blood test on the 3rd week of March of 2013 and the result was negative. Again, I encounter in a similar situation with a different prostitute on April 13, 2013 (Friday). Then beginning on the Sunday (April 15) I started to have minor sore throat. Then Monday (sore throat with like Sinus infection and mucus from both mouth and nose) and some body aches. Tuesday, dry coughing and a little bit of chill. Tuesday night, I had a bowel movement like diaherra during the night (2 times). On Wed morning, I had a bloody stool. Then I went to the urgent care and the doc looked at me and the stool. The doctor said I was ok. The doctor prescribed me a prescription for coughing and sore throat (nasal congestion).

Then I had a rapid HIV test (antibody they said) near by my place later that day. It was negative. I started taking the medicine for the coughing and nasal congestion. and it's a bit drowsy, sleep. On Thursday, my bowel movement is back to normal - no bloody stool. Throughout the day, I did not feel chill. Then I started a bit of chill and I read more articles about HIV and got scared. I know that I should do another test at three months from the last exposure of April 13. Since the rapid test I did yesterday turned out negative (if it is true), what are the chances the symptoms I am having is HIV? Can the HIV show up as soon as within a week and not detected in the antibody?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi First, condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off. Having it break but noticing right away and changing is good thing and though your risk increases some, but not dramatically because of the breakage. Symptoms would not show this soon for HIV. I believe you have a cold and this is what is causing your symptoms. I would continue on the testing course for HIV the guidelines are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 90 days and if there are no other exposures during this time the results are conclusive. You also need to remember that there are other sexually transmitted infections out there to be concerned about. Seeing your health care provider is a great first step and I would continue with the follow through with them to continue evaluating your symptoms. Back to the condom issue, the majority of time when the condom breaks means that it was not put on correctly. Make sure you are leaving room at the tip for your ejaculate and roll the condom on completely also using lubricant will help as well.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Meeting Wome in New York City
Next
Razor Worry

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.