Worries and anxiety after pep.. Please help...

Hello doctor, I am a male who was recently exposed to hiv 5 weeks ago and was prescribed pep thereafter.(truvada for 28 days). I was exposed by insertive anal sex without a condom with a hiv +ive partner of undetectable vl. My concern is that I have already completed the 28 days of course of pep but in the fifth week after exposure(1st week after completing pep) I have been sick with upset stomach, loose bowel movements and nausea. And also accompanied with light fever(reading 36.6 deg c on thermometer). 1) Could this be because of seroconversion illness ? I do not have swollen lymph nodules, sore throat or headaches. 2) could the use of pep delay seroconversion symptoms and they can happen in week 5 post exposure? I am still sick and very anxious, have lost sleep and appetite over it. Please help me...

Hello and thanks for posting.

1) Seroconversion symptoms can be many and are very non-specific. Your symptoms could be, but frankly unlikely without significant fever, rash or swollen glands.

2) There's little data about PEP delaying the onset of seroconversion; indeed, there are scant cases of known seroconversion in people who successfully take PEP.

Lastly, if you're sexual partner was on ART and had a known undetectable VL, your risk of getting HIV (even without PEP) is very, very low. I'd suspect that your symptoms had little to do with either HIV or PEP and possibly some other issues (such as the flu or anxiety).

I hope that helps, BY

thanks for nutella advice wth norvir
cd4