Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I tried asking Dr wohl but never seen results.
Apr 18, 2013

Had an unprotected vaginal sex with a random girl last June. Tested negative for all stds and hiv 4 weeks later, positive for mono in July. Normal CBC and liver function tests in September, and negative hiv and hep c antibody tests. Followed by negative hiv and hep c antibody tests in October, November, and December. Also normal SED rate and immunoglobulin tests in December. My doctor who is an internal medicine doctor said there is no way I have anything and I'm just fine. I'm only 25 and was healthy before incident. Still have white tongue, muscle fatigue/twitching, light stools, and what seems like folliclitus. So I still thought hiv. So I saw a nurse who I begged to do a last hiv test and she agreed to finally do it, this was at 42 weeks after exposure the beginning of this month. It just said on the paper hiv rapid screen and was done by quest diagnostics. It was negative as well. What do recommend mam? Am I ok to have sex unprotected with my gf again? Am I ok and clear? Plz my doctor thinks I'm crazy so I can only turn here for advice.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi You are HIV free! The testing guidelines are to be tested 90 days from the day of exposure and as long as there are no other exposures during this time the results are conclusive. Your testing history shows that you are beyond the 90 day mark.

I would say yes you can have unprotected sex again with your girlfriend, but remember this only as long as you both stay monogamous, only having one partner and that she also knows her status.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
My Girlfriend
Next
Dr. Shanon please help 3rd time asking

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.