Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How likely is transmission in this case?
Apr 15, 2013

Hi, my question is like many you probably get on this forum. I'm trying to assess the likelihood that I wind up with HIV. I am a man who foolishly had unprotected vaginal sex with a prostitute a few days ago. It's the only time I've had unprotected sex with a stranger, and it was all over in less than five minutes. I don't know her STD status. I'm trying to figure out when to get tested, as well as how high-risk this risky behavior was.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Anytime you engage in unprotected penetrative sex there is a risk. Since this was a one-time occurrence and you were the insertive partner, the risk was lower. It's likely that transmission DID NOT occur.

I would suggest a full round of STD testing, including HIV at the 90 days mark to be certain.

In the future, remember that condoms are effective in preventing HIV transmission as long as they are used correctly, with condom-safe lubricant, and don't break.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Saliva in anus!very worried
Next
confused

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.