Can Lupus or MS/Coinfections delay Serocoversion?

Dear Mr. Cordova,

Let me first begin by saying that I really appreciate all the time and effort you experts put forth. All the information I have read thus far has been a great help. My situation is unlike others I have read though, I believe that it could also be just stress induced as well.

Back in november I had unprotected sex, well just the tip went in but same difference; with a women I had gone out with a few times. After that incident I just felt uncomfortable around her and no longer had any relations with her, I thought to myself if she wanted me to do that without a condom, than how many other guys have as well? (it was her idea) Beyond that worry, I have no reason to believe that she infected with HIV or any STD/STI. But after a few weeks I bumps on the back of my tounge and thought I could be developing thrush. However, doctor told me that it was in fact not thrush and the bumps were just swollen taste buds. But they are still there after 4 months. (Is this a possible HIV symptom?) At 11 weeks I went for my first testing (Antibody Test): results came back negative. At 4 months I went for a second antibody testing and that also came back negative. I have not been tested for any other STD's/STI's yet but plan to in the near future. I do however know that I have HPV (thanks to my ex gf) and noticed two pimple like bumps on my groin area recently. Another reason that I have a hard time believing the results is that my mom has lupus and my dad has MS, making me a risk factor for one of them or BOTH!, I have had unsteady hands my whole life which I believe is a symptom of MS. Although I have never been tested it is still possible I have one or both...Now I know I am most likely being paranoid, I believe I am a relatively healthy individual minus my diet(college student), drinking a few beers a night, and cewing tabacco. With all this said I cannot remember the last time I was sick, with the exceptions of being hung over or the occasional headache/sore throat(probably allergies) and an odd pain in my shoulder the other morning but only lasted 2 day(could have been from how i sleep but never felt anything like that before).

To summarize my questions: 1. Can lupus or MS or both delay Seroconversion and extend my testing window from the traditional 3 months to 6months or longer? (Outside the box thinking but I would like to move on)

2. Could a Co-Infection of HIV and any other std/sti cause a delay in seroconversion?

3. Based off of your knowledge and experience do you believe that I need to continue testing for HIV? Or can I finally put my worries to rest and move on?

Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate any advice/peace of mind you can give me.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

1. It's possible, but not a given. By six months one could get an accurate test result though.

2. Yes, Hepatitis C. You would need to be experiencing an acute infection for this to be the case.

3. No. The incident was brief, one-time, and you were the insertive partner. Transmission was unlikely. PLUS, you went in for a test post 90 days. That negative result is conclusive.

In regards to #1 & #2, please be advised that these do NOT apply to the general public. Also, while you may be at risk for Lupus or MS, until you are diagnosed, I would not be concerned about an alternate testing window. 90 days will suffice.

In health,

Richard

oral sex
HAD PROTECTED SEX WITH SEX WORKER FOR LESS THAN 5MIN WITHOUT EJACULATING