Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hi Mr. Cordova, can you please answer? Question about receiving oral sex and flu like sx;s within 48 hours
Apr 15, 2013

Hi Mr. Cordova, I asked this ? on the forum for the past several days, but no one has responded. I hope you dont think its a stupid question. I was looking through all the past forums and I have seen similar questions but Im not sure they answer my ? exactly. I had received oral sex from a male partner for about 1-2 mins before I made him stop since I dont really enjoy receiving oral sex. The remainder of sex was entirely protected with condoms. However, the question I have is within 48 hours I developed fever (<101), chills, a very very sore throat with super swollen tonsils and body aches. I thought that was weird since we're in April and it felt like the flu or a really bad strep throat. My partner said he had felt sick the previous week but not exactly the same symptoms. I recovered from whatever virus or bacterial infection this was within about 3-4 days. So, I learned from your site that he risk of transmission is extremely low for receiving oral sex since my partner had no obvious swollen or bleeding gums or cuts on his lips, however, does this warrant me getting tested for HIV? Could this represent an acute HIV viral response within as little as 48 hours or am I just being paranoid? Can you develop symptoms as early as 48 hours. I read on ur site from anywhere from 1-4 weeks post exposure people develop symptoms? I do not know his status (said he was tested for "everything" in January, but as we know people are not always truthful). I had been tested the previous week for HIV as part of a regular health checkup and my test was negative. I appreciate your help answering this question. I also appreciate everyone who contributes to this site for allowing us to ask these questions without feeling stupid! Hope you are doing well Mr. Cordova. Thanks so much!- Jen

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi Jen,

You would not be experiencing symptoms so quickly. I do not think your symptoms have anything to do with HIV. See below for our stance on oral sex:

The risk of HIV transmission with oral sex is extremely low. It is even reasonable to state that for the person receiving oral sex (that is on whom oral sex is being performed) the risk of acquisition of the virus is practically zero. For the person placing his or her mouth on someone else's genitals, the risk may be slightly higher but still very very low.

Theoretically, obvious cuts, wounds, sores, or infections in the mouth could raise this risk. But relatively speaking this is still considered to be a low-risk sexual activity as the mouth is not a hospitable place for the HIV virus.

Please note that other sexually transmitted infections are readily spread via oral contact and you may need to be checked for these.

In health,

Richard

Previous
syphilis reinfection
Next
Is 4 weeks enough time for a fairly conclusive hiv test?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.