Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

very concerned....
Apr 8, 2013

I know bathroom transmission is not typically possible but I have to use a catheter to go to the bathroom. Recently I have been concerned that I maybe accidentally touch blood in a public bathroom or somewhere in the environment and not know it and get the blood on the catheter and then get that blood inside me.

Would this be a risk? Should I worry about this?

Would there have to be a significant noticeable amount of blood for this to be a risk?

Would the blood that is there even within secs (like I go in right after someone else ) still be infectious?

Please answer my concern I am very worried about this I have unprotected sex with my boyfriend and I know we are both negative we have been tested and dont use drugs or have sex with other people. And this just worries me I just don't want there to be any what ifs on my part.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The risk of HIV transmission through your description is extremely low to non existent. If there were blood on your catheter there would need to be a significant amount. If it were blood that contained HIV, HIV begins to die once it is outside of the body and is unable to infect. It is highly unlikely that HIV transmission occurred through your encounter and I would say that you can rest easy. Just be more careful in the future with keeping your procedure clean as you don't want to pick up any type of bacteria that would be easier to get than HIV through this experience.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
few red spot got me really worried. is this hiv rash?
Next
Question about viral load test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.