Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

looking for aswer
Apr 8, 2013

Dear Dr. Shannon, I am sorry for the lengthy question or if this was sent earlier by me but for some reason I did not get your answer , I had a sex with a female during her period , I used condom when I noticed after few insertion she was having her period I pulled out and starting rubbing my penis in her vagina , I felt the condom ripped so I stopped instantly and Jerked off. When she tested after that Sadly she was found HIV positive and stage 3 , surely I am sacred a lot , I went for my test Exactly at the 14th day of this possible exposure , Dr. And Lab suggested 2 type of test 1 is the rapid and 2nd is the Viral DNA. According to lab they used for the rapid p24 4th generation which according to them it detects within 2 to 3 weeks of possible exposure , and thanks god the result came negative The 2nd test results yet to come as it takes 2 days , according to the lab this test detects after 10 days of possible exposure. My questions are 1- Am I at big risk for what had happen bearing in mind all facts including her period and that she is positive and at HIV stage 3 ? 2- How accurate the lab information about the 2 tests detectability ? 3- Any use of what I have done as test in this period or it is just a waist of time and money ? Thanks

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The good news is that condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off. Because you notices that it had broken and you stopped immediately you were still protected. As for her status of having HIV, first there are no stages of HIV, and again because as soon as the condom broke you stopped the risk of exposure is very low. The testing you have had is accurate. They are most likely testing you for the virus or doing a viral load. From your exposure your risk of HIV is extremely low. It's never a waste of money to know your status.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
i need help, i am woied
Next
RE: so your saying?????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.