Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

!!!!Regarding my 2 year old...please answer!!!
Apr 6, 2013

Hello- Please respond as I am having extreme anxiety over this incident regarding my 2 year old. I was at an office last week dropping off some paperwork, and one of the office staff members, who is a complete stranger to me, picked up my 2 year old and started playing with her. This lady had a cut on her finger that had a band aid over it, but I could see the blood under the band aid, so the wound had to have recently been bleeding, possibly even still bleeding.

She was commenting on how cute my daughter was and she pinched her little cheeks and was rubbing her fingers across her cheek, the same finger with the bloody band aid. My daughter did not have any bleeding or open cuts on her face, but she does have a little bit of baby achne, as well as very chapped lips.

My concern is, what if this lady rubbed her bloody band aid across my babies face, and it got blood on her lips? Could that lead to HIV or Hep B/C infection if any (even a small amount of) blood got on her chapped lips, or she licked her lips if any blood was present, which then got in her mouth? I have had so much anxiety over this, because I don't even know this lady, let alone her status.

Please respond, and advise if I need to consider testing my child from this situation. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Wohl

There is no risk here at all. I would NOT subject your child to a blood draw. No infection that you are concerned about could be transmitted by this type of contact.

DW

Previous
The fingers and penises of our lives. FEAR! :-(
Next
Risk of HIV from scissors cut used by an HIV positive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.