Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Didn't find the answer anywhere
Apr 3, 2013

Dear doctor, I kissed my girlfriend several times on February. It was deep kiss and i sucked her lips. At one point i also drank a sip of water directly from her mouth. She had chapped lips that time. Exactly 10 days after that i woke up with stuffy nose, dry cough and low grade fever ( 99.4-100 F ). The fever lasted for 4 days and was gone on its own. but the cough stayed the whole week. In the 3rd day i had redness inside of my lower lip and it spread gradually in my whole mouth. It burnt while eating spicy food. but i didn't have any sore that time. The redness was gone exactly after 9 days. I also had abdominal pain that time and diarrhea that lasted for 4 days. 13-14 days after that i again had that redness in my mouth and lasted for 10 days. 1:- Are those symptoms of acute HIV infection? 2:- Can HIV pass thriugh water if there was infected blood in the water and i drink it immediately? 3:- Should i go for testing ?

Response from Dr. Wohl

I am surprised your research did not reveal some basic facts that could have assuaged your concern. Description of acute HIV, you would find, does not sound like what you describe at all. Acute HIV is much more a kin to a flu like illness where you ache and want to stay in bed. Fevers are common. Rash and mouth ulcers may or may not.

Your search should also lead you to how HIV is and is not transmitted. Cases of oral transmission of HIV among adults are extraordinarily rare and involve ginormous amounts of gum disease in both parties. Kissing does not transmit HIV. Ever. Spread the word. The water in the mouth thing: ditto.

You should get an HIV test if you have had unprotected sex with anyone in your life and you do not know your HIV status - not because you made out with a girl.

DW

Previous
Seroconversion after 3 days?
Next
What would be the reasons?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.