Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Are these considered open wounds?
Apr 2, 2013

Does skin that has eczema, Seborrheic dermatitis, or other disorders such as Psoriasis pose a risk for transmission because of broken down skin, really dry craked skin or even openings/cuts in the skin? If the skin with the disorder came in contact with someone's blood that is hiv+ or other fluids would that be a possible way for transmission to occur...or are these types of wounds/openings in the skin(caused by these specific skin conditions) not deep enough to pose a risk.

Thank you for all that you do. I have a good friend with hiv and I am trying to become as educated as possible. This forum has been very helpful and reading the answers to other's questions has helped relieve some of my anxiety. Thank you again!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

HIV needs direct access to the bloodstream for transmission to occur. In situations like this, even with severely broken skin, transmission is usually unlikely. Not only must the other persons skin be broken, but the virus needs to find its way into the bloodstream in a manner in which facilitates transmission.

The virus starts to die the moment it leaves the human body. It would be highly unlikely that even with broken skin, HIV infected blood would have a way to enter that cut. Just because someone has broken skin, and another person has HIV, does not mean the virus can magically jump into the uninfected persons body.

You would have to be literally rubbing a bloody wound into the broken skin for this to be a risk. I hope this helps.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Bleeding lips and HIV transmission
Next
protected sex with prostitute

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.