Are these considered open wounds?

Does skin that has eczema, Seborrheic dermatitis, or other disorders such as Psoriasis pose a risk for transmission because of broken down skin, really dry craked skin or even openings/cuts in the skin? If the skin with the disorder came in contact with someone's blood that is hiv+ or other fluids would that be a possible way for transmission to occur...or are these types of wounds/openings in the skin(caused by these specific skin conditions) not deep enough to pose a risk.

Thank you for all that you do. I have a good friend with hiv and I am trying to become as educated as possible. This forum has been very helpful and reading the answers to other's questions has helped relieve some of my anxiety. Thank you again!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

HIV needs direct access to the bloodstream for transmission to occur. In situations like this, even with severely broken skin, transmission is usually unlikely. Not only must the other persons skin be broken, but the virus needs to find its way into the bloodstream in a manner in which facilitates transmission.

The virus starts to die the moment it leaves the human body. It would be highly unlikely that even with broken skin, HIV infected blood would have a way to enter that cut. Just because someone has broken skin, and another person has HIV, does not mean the virus can magically jump into the uninfected persons body.

You would have to be literally rubbing a bloody wound into the broken skin for this to be a risk. I hope this helps.

In health,

Richard

Bleeding lips and HIV transmission
protected sex with prostitute