The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Non seroconversion

Mar 31, 2013

I asked before, but is this an issue anymore now days or can you take a negative antibody test at 6 months 100% to the bank? Medhelp help says 3 months is 100% are they right? I tested at 6 months for all stds and hiv. Cuz I've read about non seroconversion and that it still happens. Is this true? Do I still have reason to be scared or can I resume unprotected sex with my wife with my negative tests regardless of symptoms?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The testing guidelines for HIV are to be initially tested 3 weeks post exposure and then again at 90 days and as long as there are no other exposures during this time than the results of the test are conclusive. Most especially with your results at 6 months will be conclusive, as long as there were no other exposures during that 6 month time frame. There has been some confusion with the sensitivity of the testing over the last several years getting much more sensitive and able to detect antibodies sooner. It used to be that folks that were exposed needed to receive testing for a year and then it was 6 months and now it is 3 months/90 days and there is one that is being used now that can detect at one month. Not everyone is aware of the sensitivities changing for HIV testing.

But again at 90 days the test results are conclusive.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

late Seroconversion people/ non
Can't sleep, and extremely nervous and anxious, PLEASE HELP!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint