rubbed my eyes with blood

hello ,,,about a week ago while i was trying to put an IV line for a patient ,,,subconciously i rubbed my eye then i noticed there was blood on the gloves and on the finger that i rubbed with ,,,i am very concerned about HIV transmission ...i didn't take PEP ,,,,please let me know what is my risk to get HIV in this case(consider the patient is +ve for HIV ? ,,and if there is any advices? thank you

Hi Getting HIV through occupational exposure is less than 3%. If the patient did have HIV they would have to have a detectable viral load in order for transmission to really have a chance of occurring, this meaning that they either do not know their status or are not on meds. There would also have to be a significant amount of blood. The first question I would ask is if the patient has HIV, by talking to their health care provider and then second the only way to truly know your status is to get tested. I would talk to your occupational exposure or human resources department to ask them how to handle the situation.

Be safe and well, Shannon

after 10 years hiv elisa negative
Worried for my son!!