Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom broke! Help please!
Mar 28, 2013

Dear Experts,

i had a protected sex with a female of unknown (at that point) status. The condom broke, but none of us has mentioned, so i can not say how long we had sex after this and at the end i ejaculated "inside".

The next day my partner saw that i was very worried and agreed to take an aids test. The result was negative.

Question: If she (hypothetically) has contracted aids few days or weeks ago, the test would be negative as well. What are my chances in this case to be infected? I am really, really worried, your answer would be very helpful.

Thank you, Stefan

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Unfortunately with the condom breaking it does increase the risk of HIV transmission. The guidelines for testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 90 days, this is because of what we call the window period. Where someone has HIV is able to transmit the virus but the test shows up negative because the body hasn't developed antibodies against HIV, which is what the test is looking for. So it is possible to transmit the virus if someone has recently become infected and either doesn't know that they put themselves at risk or are in this window period. We also know that this is one of the most infectious times for someone because the virus is high.

To relieve your concerns I would recommend that you begin the testing course to ensure you know your status. But one thing to keep in mind is that is also difficult for women to transmit the virus to men, it is likely but is rare.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Please Doctor, Help ME!!!!!
Next
after 10 years hiv elisa negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.