Condom broke! Help please!

Dear Experts,

i had a protected sex with a female of unknown (at that point) status. The condom broke, but none of us has mentioned, so i can not say how long we had sex after this and at the end i ejaculated "inside".

The next day my partner saw that i was very worried and agreed to take an aids test. The result was negative.

Question: If she (hypothetically) has contracted aids few days or weeks ago, the test would be negative as well. What are my chances in this case to be infected? I am really, really worried, your answer would be very helpful.

Thank you, Stefan

Hi Unfortunately with the condom breaking it does increase the risk of HIV transmission. The guidelines for testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 90 days, this is because of what we call the window period. Where someone has HIV is able to transmit the virus but the test shows up negative because the body hasn't developed antibodies against HIV, which is what the test is looking for. So it is possible to transmit the virus if someone has recently become infected and either doesn't know that they put themselves at risk or are in this window period. We also know that this is one of the most infectious times for someone because the virus is high.

To relieve your concerns I would recommend that you begin the testing course to ensure you know your status. But one thing to keep in mind is that is also difficult for women to transmit the virus to men, it is likely but is rare.

Please Doctor, Help ME!!!!!
after 10 years hiv elisa negative