Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Help Scare out of my mind!!!!! Suffer from horrible OCD
Mar 23, 2013

Good Evening, First of all I would like to thank you for your help and understanding; you guys are doing a great job :) So, coming back to the matter at hand ... Today I went to the laundromat with my mother ( she was driving my car) she was trying to find a blouse that she had left behind . She looked into the " lost and found" but accidentally picking a pair of pants she also grabbed some panties there. We were disgusted !!! Unfortunately there was not bathroom for her to wash her hands. Of course as a germ phobic that I 'm I carry hand sanitizer ( not a high brand one). I give her some and she used it. She grabbed the keys and we left. My question is what is the chance that the panties were infected with an STI/ HIV and that it got on my mom hands and from them to the keys and the steering wheel and so on? Or using the sanitizer helped? Are there any risk of transmission to my mom or to me because I drive the same car. Also I'm afraid because when the car is parked my daughters like to play in front pretending that they are driving ( touching the sterring wheel and they some times also play with my leys)and Indont want them to get infect with anything....HIV or an STI. I suffer from horrible OCD

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- There is absolutely no risk of transmission of any STDs or HIV from the situation you describe. Your mother was never infected and neither your steering wheel. If this continues to bother you I would suggest talking with the provider who manages your OCD to work through it more extensively. Take care, LHW

Previous
HIv transmission through used beds, blankets and pillows
Next
Discharge

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.