Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIv transmission through used beds, blankets and pillows
Mar 23, 2013

I wish to know how long does HIV live outside the human body. Once i had to give my bed sheets, bed, blankets and pillow to a lady for a night, who was my friend's friend. I was unaware that she has physical relationships with others, though she is not married.Aafter she left my home, after 2-3 hours, I used the same without washing,or changing the pillow covers. If she would have been HIV positive and if she had drooled on my pillows or blankets, or if her body fluids would have felled on my blankets, bed, pillows, and when i used the same, is there is any chance of getting me infected. I have many pimples on my face, with inflammations and sometimes i squeeze out the fluids inside and blood used to come from it, is there is any chance when i used the pillow to get HIV transmitted into my body. Waiting for your kind reply.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- No you cannot get HIV in this way. Drool is saliva and it is not a fluid that transmit HIV. And even if your house guest had decided to somehow spread any other fluids on your sheets, HIV does not survive outside the host (dying within seconds to minutes). Perhaps washing your sheets/pillows a bit more might help with your acne however. Take care, LHW

Previous
peeling cuticle on finger. HIV from rinsing a needle?
Next
Please Help Scare out of my mind!!!!! Suffer from horrible OCD

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.